- How does the REME HALO Air Purifier work?
- REME HALO pros and cons
- REME HALO key features
- Is the REME HALO Air Purifier worth the money?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final words
Due to the threat of air pollution, various manufacturers have come up with air purification systems to combat airborne contaminants. One of which is the REME HALO air purification system. Unlike portable air purifiers, this specific system is used on large buildings and homes. But to ensure that this is the right fit for your property, we discussed here the product’s overview, REME HALO pros and cons, and its key features.
There are many air purification products in the market – from portable to whole-house models. Many buyers would often opt for portable types since it’s cheaper, making the purchase less risky.
However, these portable air purifiers won’t last long in the long run. Users will end up buying multiple replacements, which costs more than a reliable whole-house unit.
If you want to avoid such a mistake, you may want to consider the REME HALO Air Purification System. It’s a whole-house unit integrated right into your HVAC system. Below, we help you decide whether it’s the right choice for you or not.
How does the REME HALO Air Purifier work?
RGF Environmental Group Inc makes the REME HALO air purification system. This device needs to be installed into your HVAC system to serve as an added layer of protection when it comes to indoor pollution.
Specifically, this air purification system uses Reflective Electro Magnetic Energy (REME), thus the name. This technology mimics the same process it takes for hydrogen-peroxide to clean out pollutants in layman’s terms. It does so in an airborne manner, so your indoor air will be clean without the use of harsh chemicals.
Once installed and operated, the REME HALO will emit an ionized version of hydrogen peroxide. And since this device is installed in your HVAC system, the ionized molecules will spread all over your property.
The ionized hydrogen peroxide molecules will destroy bacteria, viruses, and molds upon contact with airborne pollutants. It can also neutralize malodors and volatile organic compounds (VOCs). With such powerful air scrubbing power, the REME HALO system is an excellent choice for office buildings. This is to combat the risk of ‘Sick Building Syndrome“.
Moreover, the REME HALO has two versions, the one that uses LED light and another one fitted with a UV light. Both have identical purification processes, but the UV light sure adds a fancy disinfecting touch.
Overall, the REME HALO doesn’t use mere filters to purify the air. Instead, it sends ionized molecules into the air, much like “air soldiers” tasked to exterminate airborne lung enemies.
REME HALO pros and cons
As much as REME HALO is a great purification system, it sure comes with its share of pros and cons. Below, I’ve listed a few points you should consider before getting this device:
- It removes sneeze germs within 3 feet. REME HALO can remove up to 99% of sneeze germs within 3 feet. With this, it can help reduce the risk of contagion inside your home.
- It neutralizes bad odors. Wet socks? Soiled diapers? Cooking odors? The REME HALO can neutralize all of these malodors. This is a big benefit, especially if your home has poor ventilation and tends to hold odors for too long.
- It kills pathogens. REME HALO is tested to exterminate viruses, bacteria, E-coli, MRSA, and more. This adds protection to your home, much so if someone in your family has a compromised immune system.
- It reduces airborne particles. This air purification system can also reduce mold spores, dust, dander, and pollen. It’s one of the most comprehensive purification systems you can find in the market.
- It provides relief for those with respiratory issues. Individuals with asthma, tuberculosis, pneumonia, and so on will benefit from using the REME HALO. Still, this device just provides added relief and it doesn’t replace proper medical attention.
- Limited warranty. RGF provides a limited warranty for the REMO HALO, but you first need to register the unit to the manufacturer. You need to fill out the warranty registration card and mail it to RGF.
- FSIS, FDA, and USDA-approved. The REME HALO is approved by the USDA, FDA, and FSIS to be used on food processing plants. It’s safe and guaranteed to reduce microbial contamination in food preparation areas.
- Initial studies indicate the efficacy of REME HALO against COVID. While it’s only a small study, the manufacturer of REME HALO stated that this air purification system can eliminate the COVID-19 virus. Nevertheless, further studies are underway to support this initial finding.
- No power cord is included in the package. I wish REME HALO actually highlighted this part since the buyer would have to provide it separately. You can also contact your HVAC provider to perform the installation for you.
- High price tag. One of the main reasons why potential buyers shy away from the REME HALO is its intimidating price tag. It’s pricier than other options in the market, but for a very good reason. It has a unique technology that you simply can’t find in other models.
- No phone number for technical support. For a product of this price range, I expect premium customer service or at least a hotline for technical support. So if you’re not familiar with HVAC systems, it’s best for you to contact your HVAC provider instead.
- Not easy to install. While the REME HALO is designed for optimal air cleaning, it’s not the easiest to install. Specifically, you have to install this in the plenum of your HVAC system after the air handler. Such location will ensure the best distribution of the ionized molecules that the device will release. Depending on the configuration of your HVAC system, this may require some drilling and cutting.
REME HALO key features
The REME HALO Air Purification System offers an advanced way to combat pollutants, malodors, and indoor air contaminants. Here are a few of the key features that make it stand out:
- Dual ionizers. The REME HALO is equipped with dual ionizers to ensure that large amounts of ionized molecules are produced in your home. It increases the efficacy of the unit compared to having just one ionizer.
- Zinc ion production. The new REME HALO model now produces zinc ion, which is effective in killing viruses both in the air and on surfaces.
- Whole-building/whole-home design. This air purification system is designed for whole-building or whole-home use. Overall, it’s designed to integrate all HVAC system designs, make, and models.
- Quick-release features. The REME HALO is designed with two quick-release enclosures. With this, installation and removal don’t require special tools.
- Replaceable cell. The cell inside the air purification system can be replaced once it reaches the end of its lifespan. Replacements are available from RFG, so you don’t have to re-purchase the entire unit. In general, the cell needs to be replaced every 18,000 to 25,000 hours.
- Adjustable output. The cell of the REME HALO has an adjustable shroud covering the cell. By sliding this part close or open, you can tweak the output of the system from 1,000 CFM to 6,500 CFM. This way, you can match the output based on the size of your home or building.
- Durable materials. The main housing of this purification system is made of aluminum to prevent rusting. It also makes the unit light but safe against various elements.
Is the REME HALO Air Purifier worth the money?
If you want to reduce your home’s indoor air pollution, the REME HALO is a good purchase. If you’re still undecided, here are some of the questions to consider:
Where do you plan to use the unit?
The REME HALO Air Purification System can be used in large buildings, including schools, doctor’s offices, nursing homes, and other medical-related facilities.
Aside from that, they can be found on cruise lines to reduce the proliferation of pathogens and contaminants in cruise ships.
Don’t worry because REME HALO is also suitable for home use. You can basically install this in any place where an HVAC system is located. It’s also compatible with apartments, condominium units, hotels, restaurants, bars, lockers, and more.
How much is your budget?
If you’re a bit cash-strapped, the REME HALO might be an intimidating choice. This comes at a higher price tag than other purification systems in the market, so this is somewhat of a splurge. Still, every dollar is worth it, given the features and functionalities this unit possesses.
The upfront cost is big, but in the long run, operating the REME HALO isn’t too expensive. The cell inside has a long lifespan and can be replaced, so you won’t have to replace the entire system.
Are you always getting coughs and colds?
If your family is getting sick often for unknown reasons, your indoor air might be the culprit. The REME HALO Air Purification System can help resolve this issue by killing viruses, bacteria, and germs. It can also reduce other pollutants that trigger flu-like symptoms.
Our homes are supposed to be the safest place we can ever be. However, if you don’t watch out for indoor air quality, your own home can actually make you sick. This is where REME HALO can come in handy.
However, you should know that cleaning your HVAC system is still necessary for the optimal functions of this device. While REME HALO produces a large number of ionized molecules that can neutralize pollutants, it can be easily overwhelmed by an HVAC system that hasn’t been cleaned for years.
Are you looking for a long-term solution?
REME HALO can be a long-term solution for your indoor air problems as long as it’s maintained well. Unlike portable types, the REME HALO can last for 2 to 3 years before needing a cell replacement. So while it’s more expensive than portable air purifiers, the long-term cost is much lower.
The best thing is that this device is integrated into your HVAC unit. There’s no need to tow around a bulky air scrubber or have one portable unit per room.
Do you have a small living space?
If you have a small and minimal living space, the REME HALO is a good choice. UNLIKE PORTABLE AIR PURIFIERS, the REME HALO doesn’t occupy living or floor space. It’s installed inside your HVAC system, so there’s no need to worry about fitting it inside your humble home.
Despite that, this device remains efficient and powerful in eliminating contaminants in the air.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long does a REME HALO last?
A: The REME HALO will last for years, but its cell would need replacements every 2 to 3 years. If you want one that lasts longer, make sure that you get REME HALO’s LED version over the UV type. The LED version can last for up to 5 years if paired with proper upkeep.
Q: Can REME HALO make you sick?
A: The REME HALO is unlikely to make you sick. If you got sick after installing this device, something might be off somewhere else in your HVAC system. Also, your sickness might be the result of poor indoor air quality, which only peaked right when you got the REME HALO.
Q: Does REME HALO help with allergies?
A: The REME HALO effectively reduces allergens and allergy attacks in your home. It does so by neutralizing viruses and bacteria as well as common allergens like dust, pollen, and dander. Still, this should be paired with proper home cleaning.
Q: How can you tell if your REME HALO is working?
A: REME HALO units have indicator lights to let you know that it’s up and working. Older models have a green light, while newer ones made since 2017 have red ones. If the green or red light is on, that means your REME HALO is receiving power, thus in operation.
Indoor air pollution is a long-standing struggle among homeowners. But with the help of air purification systems, you can stop indoor pollutants from taking a toll on your health. One of such systems is the REME HALO Air Purifier.
I hope that this REME HALO pros and cons article helps you decide if the device is right for your home. When in doubt, you can always consult your trusted HVAC provider.
Home Air Quality is founded by Jade L to provide information on Indoor Air Quality in Homes and enlighten people about what they need to know about businesses, personal finance, and maintaining a comfortable and healthy home environment.
We believe that “Quality air brings a healthy life.”
But we also believe that “Quality Personal finance and business knowledge can also make your life healthy.”